Friday, February 1, 2008

Wisdom from my Sisters





From Kristy: When ever anything in life is unmanageable, thusly causing stress, change your hair.  While many things in life are beyond our control - or lack a quick fix, changing your style or color is an instantly gratifying experience.  Additionally, life would be worse if we were to start drinking excessively.
From Heather:  Tactics used in a Special Ed classroom are quite effective when used on my children.  What this says about my children...I don't like to admit.  What this says about Heather is that she can handle a lot of deviant behavior.  Also - when under stress it is perfectly acceptable to cry to a stranger (i.e. the comcast guy) if no one more suitable is around.  
From Becca: Many of us agonize over the fact that most pictures taken of ourselves, are less than beautiful.  When once in a while a good picture turns out, we are glad that our imagined beauty has finally been captured on film.  We need to accept that the opposite is true.  We actually look mediocre much of the time - so mediocre pictures are an accurate representation of our physical reality.  Remember: those few really good pictures of ourselves are not how we actually look.   
From Mom: (who must be included even though the blog title indicates only Sisters) As women, many of us spend much of our lives agonizing over weight and the last 10 pounds (or fill in the number with whatever poundage you choose) that we want to loose.  Many of us also spend much of our lives enjoying snacks and treats.  At some point we need to say "This is what size I am.  I like to eat ice cream (donuts, cookie dough, etc.), and will continue to do so."  Then we need to stop agonizing.  Or stop eating the treats.  Pick one of the two.     
From Me:  (Just because I don't want to feel left out!) Laugh at yourself.  Life is hard/ stressful/disappointing much of the time.  Find the funny and lighten up!  If by chance you are unable to find humor in your own life, watch America's Funniest Home Videos and laugh at someone else.  A heavy set woman falling off of her bike into the mud, a poorly executed trampoline move ending with some guy getting it in the sweet spot, a little old grandma falling from the dock into the lake - these things are all very funny.   

Please note -  when entertaining the idea of taking of Kristy's advice - (hair cut or color) it will only be instantly gratifying if you pay someone whom you trust, who is also qualified to do the task.  This does not include a sister (Becca), trustworthy but untrained in cosmetology, who thinks she knows how to home-job some bleach blonde high-lights on my normally dark brown hair. Don't think of her too badly though, she let me do her hair at the same time so we both looked crappy - but we looked crappy together.

And that is the point of having sisters - togetherness.  Whether we are living in the same state or not. Miss you guys!   

14 comments:

Becca said...

Wow, I feel smart seeing as my name and wisdom were included in the same thought process! Thanks for the laugh! I somehow forgot about our lovely hair dying episode in Mom's basement. Sadly, I think that the results of that experience were better than the ones I got a week before my wedding. But seriously, what were we thinking?

I too am grateful for wisdom from my sisters, life wouldn't be nearly as fun--or loud-- without all of us and our "wisdom."

klt9976 said...

HAHAHA!!!!! Now everyone probably thinks I had a drinking problem at one time!

Melodrama Mama said...

No Kristy - they will think that you are smart enough NOT to have a drinking problem!

Heather said...

Crying solves lots of problems-I do suggest getting in shower when you need to cry really hard, then other people don't know that you are falling apart. Comcast however is still very kind and very helpful when you are a wreck on the phone with them to the point where you are gasping for air. I do however hope that I do not go thought that again with Comcast.

Janice {Run Far} said...

Oh that was a great shout out to your sisters. I have 6 sisters and I miss them all so much. i have a twin and she is my best friend. There is nothing better then a sisters weekend with laughing teasing and bantering involved. Sisters freaking rock.

Chris said...

I like your sisters' advice. Very nice blog. I have one sister, we talk often.

I like to new do!!

klt9976 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
klt9976 said...

um....could you have picked a more beautiful picture! And...I made the not so smart "my-bangs-are-driving-me-crazy-so-i'll-just-drive-to-the-nearest-hair-place-in-st. george" moment. Luckily after a weekend of stressing I realized that my bangs wern't that bad. but...yes go to someone you trust.

Heather said...

Hey Wendy! Thanks for waving hello at my blog. I love when I discover an old friend who now has a blog. It's an amazing way to catch up! Let me know if you have any pics posted of you on your blog - or - send me one, so I can put your face with your name!

xo--Heather Bailey

Becca said...

P.S. We miss you too!

Becca said...

Double P.S.--Where was that picture taken? I am trying to figure it out and it's driving me crazy!

Melodrama Mama said...

The pic was taken at Wayne and Marie's house when we went to the Utah game in AZ.

Anonymous said...

I still weigh the same - I hope. I don't weigh myself often so I hope I weigh the same and I just ate two yummy salty peanut clusters for breakfast. Now Kristy has set me up for comments so I'll comment when I can. Love, Mom

klt9976 said...

p.s. re: Becca's advice - I still believe that I don't photograph well becuase people always tell me that I don't really look anything like my pics. A direct quote (from someone who had only seen my pics and heard about me from friends) "Wow, Kristy, you are so much prettier in real life than in your pictures!" So I'll just keep telling myself that its true.